Empowered Learner – ISTE Student Standards
What is an empowered learner?
“We must remember that our students are innately creative, innovative, and collaborative, and that we suppress these things with our control. Empowerment is the key that will unlock them.” – Kevin Parr, ASCD
EMPOWERED LEARNER STANDARDS
- Students articulate and set personal learning goals, develop strategies leveraging technology to achieve them and reflect on the learning process itself to improve learning outcomes.
- Students build networks and customize their learning environments in ways that support the learning process.
- Students use technology to seek feedback that informs and improves their practice and to demonstrate their learning in a variety of ways.
- Students understand the fundamental concepts of technology operations, demonstrate the ability to choose, use and troubleshoot current technologies and are able to transfer their knowledge to explore emerging technologies.
Teachers who build up empowered learners in their classrooms help students to:
- “set personal learning goals.”
- “reflect on the learning process.”
- “build learning networks.”
- “customize digital learning environments.”
- “receive and apply feedback from peers and/or experts.”
(From page 8 of the Ed Tech Product Development Guide by ISTE)
Earn Your Stripe
- Watch the video above.
- Submit below any experiences you completed with students that pushed them to be empowered learners.
- Explain the connection between these experiences and the ISTE standard.