Digital Citizen – ISTE Student Standards
What is a digital citizen?
“Your digital footprint is your new resume.” – Ross Cooper, BAM Radio Network
DIGITAL CITIZEN STANDARDS
- Students cultivate and manage their digital identity and reputation and are aware of the permanence of their actions in the digital world.
- Students engage in positive, safe, legal and ethical behavior when using technology, including social interactions online or when using networked devices.
- Students demonstrate an understanding of and respect for the rights and obligations of using and sharing intellectual property.
- Students manage their personal data to maintain digital privacy and security and are aware of data-collection technology used to track their navigation online.
Teachers who build up digital citizens in their classrooms help students to:
- “build a positive digital identity.”
- “practice safe and ethical use of technology.”
- “learn positive digital use practices.”
- “understand data and digital privacy concerns.”
(From page 8 of the Ed Tech Product Development Guide by ISTE)
From ISTE Standards for Students, “Students recognize the rights, responsibilities, and opportunities of living, learning and working in an interconnected digital world, and they act and model in ways that are safe, legal and ethical.”
Earn Your Stripe
- Watch the video above.
- Submit below any experiences you completed with students that pushed them to be digital citizens.
- Explain the connection between these experiences and the ISTE standard.